Good afternoon, dear friends :D
This chicken curry is a unique Chinese style of curry that was taught to me by my late mother-in law. My sons love the potatoes in it and we would eat this with rice and then dunk a few pieces of white bread into the gravy as well! Delicious! Talking about this recipe makes me want to cook this right now! :roll: It is quite simple to cook and I hope you can follow the recipe.
Easy Chicken Curry
1/2 chicken (can use chicken breasts or thighs), chopped into pieces, and marinated in 2 tbsps of curry powder, some salt
3 large potatoes, peeled and each cut into 6 pieces
1 large onion, peeled and quartered
3-5 sprigs of curry leaves (the more the better)
5 tbsp of meat curry powder (or buy RM2 of wet curry spices from market)
2 cups coconut milk (fresh or canned or packeted ones)
To be blended with a little water : –
10 shallots or small onions
5 cloves garlic
5 fresh red chillis or soaked dried chillis
1 inch ginger
1 inch fresh turmeric or 1 tbsp turmeric powder
2 – 3 stalks of lemon grass/serai – use only the bottom 1 inch
1) Mix the curry powder into the blended ingredients.
2) Heat up some oil and fry the potato chunks until they are half cooked, stirring often and remove. Set aside.
3) In 4 – 5 tbsp of oil heated up in a wok or pan, put in the ground ingredients and curry leaves, and sitrfry for about 5 minutes until it is fragrant.
4) Add in the chicken pieces and stirfry for about 5 minutes, to seal in the juices.
5) Add in the potatoes and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
6) Lower heat to medium and simmer for about 25 – 35 minutes until the chicken is tender, stirring occasionally.
7) Season to taste, and serve with white rice, nasi lemak or bread. :D
My sister-in-law likes to throw in a 2 to 3 star anise, cardamons and a small stick of cinnamon as well for added aroma. Fry these with the blended ingredients. But personally, I prefer not to add these spices – too strong for my children’s tastes. But you can try and see for yourself! :wink:
Hearty Appetites to all,