Hi there, dear friends :D
I first heard about Spirulina back in the 90’s but never really looked into its health benefits until recently – my eldest son was found to have a low red blood cell count during a blood test to find out if he was suffering from dengue fever. No wonder he seemed tired most of the time and I thought he was not having enough sleep from playing too much online games! LOL!
One of the things that popped up first during a search in the Internet for natural remedies for low red blood cell count was Spirulina. Fascinated that such a simple blue-green algae based Spirulina tablet can be Nature’s amazing Superfood, I decided to get a bottle of Pure Hawaiian Spirulina from my favourite online health supplement store.
My family took 6 tablets of Nutrex Spirulina daily, while we stopped taking other multivitamins and health supplements to observe how the Spirulina could benefit us. We have been taking Spirulina for almost a month now and what prompted me to write about it here was seeing how my eldest son is consistently taking his Spirulina in the morning daily by his own accord before attending his classes.
He is the type who has difficulty swallowing any capsules or large tablets of medicine or health supplements, and he would often make a face whenever he has to take them. I actually have to prepare his supplements every morning and make sure he takes them in the morning. LOL!
But one morning, I saw him looking for the bottle of Nutrex Spirulina and taking his 6 tablets all by himself. Surprised, I asked him how come he remembers to take them. He replied that the Spirulina gave him strength and energy without having to drink coffee.
Other than being a natural source of energy, Spirulina has a range of health benefits :-
1) in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) – Spirulina can help tonify liver blood
2) it is a micro algae that is extremely rich in beta-carotene (30 times of carrots’), iron, proteins, vitamins, minerals and trace elements – a good nutrient source for the malnourished, athletes, and a good protein source for vegans
3) it is high in anti-oxidants and good for anti-aging
4) as mentioned above, it is good for treating anemia
5) it restores energy and vitality
6) it stimulates our immunity system and and reinforces the defences of our immune system
7) it helps to relieve cramps. Since I started taking Spirulina, I no longer experience electrifying cramps in my toes that I used to have frequently when I walked or squatted
….. and the list of benefits goes on and on. The following links have good information on the goodness of Spirulina :-
Spirulina – by Mr. Ginseng
The Health Benefits of Spirulina – by Everyday Health
9 Powerful Benefits of Spirulina - by Skinny With Fiber
The History & Health Benefits of Spirulina – by Natural News
In Malaysia, Spirulina can be quite expensive. For example, a bottle of 150 tablets of 200mg Spirulina can cost RM150 (around US$50)….compare that to the Nutrex Pure Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica that I bought for US$23 or RM73 only for a bigger bottle of 400 tablets of 500mg Spirulina, which is also Non-GMO (Genetically Modified Organisms), grown in a Bio-Secure Zone, free of pesticides, herbicides, gluten and lactose – suitable for vegans.
(Please note that I am not being paid by Nutrex nor the health supplement store to promote the goodness of their Spirulina. )
With best wishes,