Good afternoon, dear friends, 😀
One of the things that can put a full-stop to my work is when I have a headache or a migraine. I have suffered from migraines since when I was young and it was only a couple of years ago that I managed to prevent them from happening or recover faster from them. I have written down the many techniques that I have used and some of them are rather bizarre but if you are like me, when you are right in the middle of an intense headache or migraines, short of wanting to die from it 🙄 , you would do anything just to get rid of it!!
Try one of these methods, if it doesn’t work for you, go and try the next one. Some methods will work for me on some occasions while some will only work on others. 😉 But there is a variety for you to choose from.
Here are some other techniques for headaches and migraines that I have tested on myself and found to be effective as well :-
1) have a shower – wash hair and head with cold water (only in tropical countries, for those in cold countries, then only water as cold as you can bear). Then shower or soak in a bathtub in very hot water for 5 minutes. This is to reduce bloodflow to the head and more to the body, and therefore, the pain will be less “pounding” in the head.
2) drink a caffeinated drink – strong Pu Erh Chinese tea would be good. Otherwise, coffee and teas. Even Coca Cola, too! 😀
3) drink an isotonic or sports drink, e.g. 100-plus or Gatorade, as sometimes we get headaches when our body lacks electrolytes.
4) drink something very cold and with ice very quickly to generate a “brain freeze” effect (hehe, this term is what my kids described to me as the effect they get when they gulp down a glass of iced soda/water in seconds!). For me, this is particular effective as the pain is gone in seconds but sometimes, the pain will return but at least I get some relief there.
5) if you have the time, have a nap in a dark and quiet room. Sometimes, we lack sleep and when combined together with stress, this can trigger headaches.
6) rub your scalp, especially the spots where the pain is, with a medicated/mint oil or a hair tonic (those that contains alcohol and gives a soothing coolness to your scalp?). Eucalyptus oil is good, too. This is even better if you have just washed your hair and came out of your bath. I would get one of my kids to give me a head massage while rubbing in this medicated oil. Oh, it feels really good then. Do try this! 😉
7) drink 1 to 1.5 litres of water all within a 30-minute period, and you will start to feel the intensity of your headache go down right after 10 minutes. Sometimes, headaches or migraines are an indication that our body is dehydrated. I learned this method from my friend who has reported that many of her friends are using this method solely to cope with their migraines.
8) have a light meal or eat something. Although I have read about this method a few months ago, I never tried it until last week because when you are suffering from migraines, you will have nausea and food is the last thing on your mind. So, last week, I thought I would try this out, and hey, it really worked. But I don’t know the science behind it though. 🙄
9) try to watch for signs and symtoms that may warn you a migraine or headache may be coming – one of the is that you will have a craving for a certain kind of food. For me, I now know that if I eat too much fried snacks in between meals, it will lead to a headache. So, I try to ignore that strong craving and just have something else.
Another symptom that a migraine is coming – we have a tendency to yawn a lot. 🙄 Watching for these signs will help you to avoid the headache and take early preventive measures. 😉
Hope these techniques will help you as well!
May you be well, happy and healthy always!