Good evening, friends 😀
Phew! Am I glad that I have finished decluttering and cleaning my kichen cabinets now. It took me 2 days to take out all the stuff, wipe the shelves, throw away some plastic ware and junk that I have been unconsciously hoarding over the years (:roll:), and rearrange the things for maximum kitchen efficiency. 😉
Whoooooo…..hooooo! 😆 Tomorrow, I will scrub the oven with some vinegar and baking soda to remove the old hard stains, as well as declutter my fridges. Hmmm….you may be wondering what’s wrong with me……….to be doing so much cleaning and decluttering these few days? 🙄
Well, when things are left alone where they are for a long time, the energy or chi gets stale and stagnant there. When the energy is stagnant, there is no new or fresh energy coming in to refresh those areas. As time goes on, we will feel a certain heaviness or dullness in our energy, and somehow even the atmosphere or air in those areas is dark.
For me, in addition to the hot weather here in KL, I really have no mood to cook last week and I had felt lethargic all the time, sort of sapped of energy. Even the salt baths didn’t help me much and I decided to take the next action, which is to declutter my kitchen somehow. Otherwise, my family will have no dinner on the table for a while more and we were getting tired of take-outs! 😆 🙄
Another thing to know in situations like this is when you know you have a lot to declutter, you will really, really not be in the mood for it and you will come up with many amazing excuses just to procratinate. Well, I had also ran out of excuses 😳 (hehe, I was using the hot weather as my excuse but it started raining 2 days ago and the weather is now much cooler! :lol:).
So, yesterday, I took the bull by its horn, and went to my kitchen first thing in the morning after I had sent my kids to school.
Here are some tips to help you declutter your kitchen as well as some to help save you some time :-
1) when you start the decluttering, the job will seem to be too immense for you. Accept it – you have to do it. Take the first step…………..and open all the doors of your kitchen cabinets.
Boing!! All those cabinets are stuffed full and disorganized, a sure sign that is screaming out at you to clear them. 😆
2) take a good look around your kitchen and what’s in the cabinets…..sort of like a stock take to see what you have where. Can’t tell nor see? Oh, well………never mind. 🙄 Now, go to the next step…..
3) go and put a few garbage bags or cardbox boxes in the centre of the kitchen, so that you can sort the things for keeping and for throwing. Have a few large baskets as well to organize things for keeping into their rightful places in the cabinets and drawers.
4) have a few plastic trays, little colourful baskets, and see-through boxes to put stuff in. I like colours because they cheer me up when I look at them, makes the kitchen brighter, too, yes? 😀
5) have a stack of old newspaper ready – I put these on the floor in the centre of the kitchen. They are for me to literally dump all the things from a drawer or two – where you can’t make up your mind where those things go. This will at least free up your drawers or shelves, and at least you are halfway there in cleaning those.
6) now, take another good look at the layout of your kitchen, like where the stove, oven, sink or fridges are. You want to identify what you need near those places and in those cabinets nearby, you will arrange those things there.
For example, next to my stove, my drawers on the right will have the ladles, scoops, etc……and the cabinets below would have my pots, pans and wok. Near my oven, I have all my baking trays and ingredients. By doing this, you will save time when you need to reach out for things and also, your kitchen stuff are organised properly.
7) it is advisable to clear and clean one cabinet at a time, moving in a clockwise direction around the kitchen….this will help to give you an organised perspective in your cleaning, instead of doing it rather haphazardly and then find that you are not going anywhere and then quit decluttering. Your cabinets and drawers will get cleaned faster! 😉
One certain thing that my friends and I have observed through experience is that once you get started on this decluttering job (be it here in the kitchen or any part of your house). you will start to feel a rush of energy and incentive going through you, carrying you through the wave of cleaning and clearing. Whoooo….hoooo !!! 😀
Suddenly, you don’t feel tired or slow anymore and you feel very invigorated. Ah, as you move out and reorganise the stuff, old chi or energy is being removed, and in its place, new chi is there. That is why you will feel better and more energised as you go further into your decluttering. 😉
Better still, have all your windows open as you do this job, to help in the flowing of fresh, crisp new chi…..even if it means you have to wear a few layers of clothes in the cold autumn! 🙄 😆
8 ) I found that it is more practical to put all my baking measuring spoons, cups, cookie cutters, pressers, brushes, etc in a large see through box, and put the box on one of the shelves……….rather than have them all messed up in a drawer. By doing this, you have free up a drawer space for better use.
9) I like to wrap a piece of Glad Wrap or Cling Film on top of my electrical appliances that are sitting on the counter top……so that I can just throw away the plastic whenever it collects dust, instead of having to wipe it now and then with a cloth. This will help you save some time.
10) place those things that you rarely use at the top shelves or at the most inaccessible space in your cabinets.
11) if there is a space between the cabinets and the kitchen ceiling, place a few layers of old newspapers to line the top of the cabinets. This way, you don’t have to clean there, and all you need to do is just throw the newspapers away, and replace them. Again, you save some time there. 😉
12) put large rattan baskets all round at the top of the cabinets, where you can store some things that you like to keep but don’t use at all. This creates extra storage space for you in the kitchen. Or you can place your things to be recycled there, e.g. old bottles, cans, etc.
By the time you are finished with decluttering your kitchen, I can bet you will be feeling so much energy that you still want to keep on cleaning and cleaning 🙄 ……….. and next, you will be thinking about the other rooms that you need to work on ! 😆
Happy Decluttering, ladies and gentlemen! Whoooooo…..hooooo!!