Good evening, dear friends 😀
Here is the recipe for my simple vegetable stirfry – I like to keep my vegetable dishes simple to go with my other meat dishes and soup served with hot steamed rice for my Chinese dinner. You can use cabbage (the round or Napa or long Chinese types), long beans, french beans, kale, sawi, etc and just follow the basic method of cooking this.
The important points to note here are –
1) your wok or pan must be very hot with the fire set at high heat.
2) you must cover the wok or pan in the middle of the cooking, so that the vegetables will be steamed for a couple of minutes, cooking time is cut down and the nutritional value of the vegetables are retained…..plus the flavours get infused. 😉
Chinese Cabbage Stirfry
4 cups of Chinese Cabbage, sliced into 1-inch lengths
1/2 cup of carrots, julienned or cut into strips
3 cloves of garlic (more if you like as garlic is good for your health), chopped finely
2 tbsps of oyster sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup water
salt and dash of pepper to taste
2 tbsps of cooking oil
1) Heat up wok or pan over a high fire until the wok starts to smoke slightly.
2) Pour in the cooking oil……it will also get hot very fast, you have to watch it carefully.
3) Put in the garlic and stir until slightly golden.
4) Put in the cabbage and carrot and hear the loud sizzle in your wok – this is the fun part and very essential for Chinese stirfry.
5) Stir quickly to ensure even cooking and you will smell a wonderful aroma of the vegetables in hot garlic oil. Stir for about 2 minutes.
6) Add water, give the vegetables a good stir and cover the wok for about 2 minutes.
7) Remove cover and put in the rest of the seasoning. Turn off the heat and serve immediately.
Voila! Your Chinese Cabbage Stirfry is done! 😀