Good morning, dear friends 😀
I have a few versions of garlic bread or toasts recipes. But I really like this one a lot since I like the goodness of eating lots of garlic for health. ,I serve it with my stews, pasta, soups and it is always a hit with my children. 😀
The first recipe here was taught to me by my childhood friend who showed me a new way to make garlic bread that is soooo good that I have to use up 3 whole baguettes to make this for my family of 6. 🙄
The best part of this garlic bread recipe is that the skin is so light and crispy, whilst the inside is warm and soft, and the garlic butter actually packs a zing! I mean, the garlic is really spicy and some of my kids could hardly take the spiciness…..well, in a way, it is like a cross between eating wasabi and a hot chilli, but the heat is all on the tongue! 😆 Best of all, the recipe is so simple and there is a neat trick to making the skin extra crispy and light. 😉
Warning – some of you not used to taking a lot of garlic may find this too “garlicky” and this is very “buttery”. Not for the faint hearted! 😆
RECIPE 1 – Easy Perfect Garlic Bread With A Zing
* 1 loave baguette (about 2 ft in length)
* 1 cup or 150 gm butter, softened
* 1 large whole garlic (or more if you dare to take this much, I actually used 1 1/2 whole garlics)
* 1 tsp of chopped parsley or green onion, just for colour (optional)
1) Cut baguette diagonally into 1 cm thickness, but don’t cut all the way through to the bottom, i.e. the baguette is still left whole
2) Peel garlic and use a pestle & mortar to pound garlic into a paste, or chopped really finely in a food processor or sharp knife.
3) Mix garlic paste with butter thoroughly.
4) Spread garlic butter onto both sides or just one side (your preference), of the baguette slices.
5) Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
* * 6) Trick – use your fingers to flick some water all over the skin of the baguette (not inside)….or you can use a spray bottle instead to do this. This method will make the bread skin extra light and crispy, but leaving the inside moist and soft.
7) Divide the baguette into 2 half rolls, and wrap them in aluminium foil.
8 ) Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven.
Remove and serve immediately with your favourite pasta or soups or stews.
Wow, when you take your first bite of this hot garlic bread, the outside is so crispy and light, and when you are savouring the warm soft part of the bread, the strong garlicky taste will suddenly knock your socks off! Hehe, my kids had to drink lots of iced water when they had this! 😆
I would love to hear your comments if you do try this recipe out…..especially on the strength garlic taste and if you like the crispiness of the garlic bread skin. 😉
Here’s the recipe for my crispy Garlic Toasts –
RECIPE 2 – Thin Crispy Garlic Toasts
Ingredients & Method –
2 Baguettes or French Loaves – sliced into 1-cm slices with a bread knife
250 gm of soft butter, 6 cloves garlic (chopped), 2 tbsps of parsley flakes – all mixed evenly like this ===>
Butter the bread slices on one side, place them on a baking tray and bake in a preheated 180 degrees Celcius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven until they turn golden in colour and crispy.
I like to make a big batch of the garlic butter and keep the extra in an airtight container in the fridge for my kids to spread on their toasts with it.
Hope you like these garlic bread recipes. 😉