A bunch of “lemon” leaves, compared to a teaspoon for measure
A cup of healthy “lemon” leaves drink
Good morning, dear friends 😀
When I was a kid, my mom used to brew this drink and make everyone have a glass of it. Being young at that time, I never asked what exactly the drink does for health as my mom just said it was good for me. We had these plants in a little pot as they grew easily with minimal care.
It was about 30 years later when a few weeks ago, my massage/healer friend gave me some of this to drink and it brought back fond memories of my childhood health drinks. I just collected the stems discarded by my friend and poked them into some soil in a pot behind my house. They grew very fast and in 2months’ time, I had enough of my very own “lemon” plants for harvesting.
I am sure these are not the leaves from the actual lemon fruit tree but its name in the Cantonese dialect is “Leng Mong Yip” or “Lemon Leaves”, literally. When you crush the leaves, there is a minty and lemony smell…hence, its name. The taste is quite refreshing and not at all difficult to drink. I think I will add in the word “Chinese” to differentiate these leaves from the actual lemon tree leaves. 💡
The health benefits of these lemon leaves are –
1) to cleanse our lungs of toxins, i.e. it is a detoxifying drink. In Cantonese, it helps to “ching fai” or in English, “clear the lungs.”
2) this drink is a remedy for coughs, both phlegmy and dry coughs.
However, please note that this drink heaty or “yang” energy in nature and if we have an accompanying sore throat with a cough, it is best not to take it. I decided to brew this drink with some honey dates (which are “yin” in nature) to balance out and make this drink “safer” to consume. 😉
For me, I like to make health drinks or cook some nutritious soups for my family as a preventive measure for health maintenance, so that the frequency of any of us falling ill is much reduced. So, last week, I made a small pot of lemon leaves drink and everyone got a cup of it to drink. For my husband who is a heavy smoker, I made him drink 2 cups. 😆
Chinese “Lemon” Leaves Drink
1) Have enough lemon leaves and stems (cleaned) to fill up 2/3s of a medium pot.
2) Fill up half the pot with water.
3) Add in 8 large honey dates or “mutt joe”.
4) Cover pot and bring to a boil.
5) Reduce heat to small and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
6) Refrigerate any leftover drink for consumption the next day.
1) Drink one cup per person per day for health maintenance purposes.
2) For someone who is having a cough, drink 2 cups daily of this for 2 to 3 days.
Here’s to good health always! Cheers!